"You may encounter many defeats, but you must not be defeated. In fact, it may be necessary to encounter the defeats, so you can know who you are, what you can rise from, how you can still come out of it." - Maya Angelou

I am almost speechless with all that has been happening lately. Almost.

A week ago today, I learned that I am anemic and pre-diabetic. (what)

Go ahead and just let that soak in cause it took me about a week to process most of it...

So I had blood work done two weeks ago for this physical. Since I haven't had a physical in 5-6 years, I figured it was about time since I'm headed to Africa in November. It was a fasting blood test so I hadn't had anything to eat in about 12 hours. My doctor sat me down and was going through all my results, cholesterol is great, fatty acids look great, white blood cell count, thyroid etc. etc. and then she says "This concerns me a bit, though: Your blood sugar levels are close to a diabetic level. Now, most of it could be genetics. Do you have any history of diabetes in your family?"
"Ha. No, I have no idea. I'm adopted" (literally one my least favorite questions to answer at the doctor. It makes me SO uncomfortable."
"Oh, alright then."
(Being half black, I am already at a higher risk of diabetes, as are Latin Americans and some of the Asian decent. Buuut there's almost no way for me to find out if it's in my family history or not so I have to just have to act as if it is and act accordingly.)

But she then continues to explain how "all I need to do is watch my carbohydrate intake" blah blah blah. I'm so in shock, I didn't hear half of what she said. I always considered myself a pretty healthy person so to receive news like this just made my whole world stop. I didn't eat for like 24 hours and slept for almost the rest of the day because I felt so uneasy. We had a "pre-Africa trip" dinner for my dad that night so I made it my last hoorah before I started eating "right".  The following day I went to my gym to talk to one of the trainers and get some fitness and nutrition advice. His name is Ross at the Lewisville- Castle Hills location and he was SUPER helpful. He gave me an American Diabetes Association approved list of foods and how they're rated on the glycemic index chart. I also spent a few hours in Barnes & Noble look at books and recipes and how to sort of "reverse" diabetes before it gets worse. I made up a grocery list of things that I'm allowed to eat and I'm currently trying to change up my workout routine to help with that aspect of things. The next camp for Camp Gladiator starts next Monday so that will cover 3 days of my week, that just leaves 2 that I have to make workouts for!! :) woo!

While I have a plan to turn things around, I can't help but feel pretty depressed about the whole thing. After all, finding out you could be a diabetic isn't exactly the greatest news you could ever receive. Tre knows and my parents know, and now all of you do. My parents were pretty shocked about it since I've always been the healthiest and fittest one in the family and since I'm only 23. Tre has just been great. He's done everything he can to talk me through it and support me and I couldn't ask for anything more. My circle isn't very big but I'm beyond thankful for those that I do have.

Along with the doctors appointment, this week has been pretty rough but I'm doing my best to keep my eye on the things to look forward to. It's been hard at times but I'm doing what I can...

&writing always helps... <3 p="">


Andy Grammer - Keep Your Head Up

Comments

Popular Posts